Subway, a fast growing and widely-known U.S. restaurant franchise, chiefly sells so-called subs (submarine sandwiches) and salads. It is a privately held company, owned by DAI (Doctor’s Associates). Subway’s headquarters are situated in Milford, Connecticut. It has also country and regional offices, employing over one thousand workers in total.
Subway is the world’s largest restaurant chain and one of the largest franchises with more than 37,000 Subway locations in one hundred countries.
The company’s motto, depicted on its logo, is “Eat Fresh”.
The company’s key product is the famous submarine sandwich (usually called “sub”). In Subway restaurants one can also buy salad, wraps, and different kinds of baked goods, like doughnuts, cookies or muffins. The best-selling product is the Italian B.M.T. (“Biggest, Meatiest, Tastiest”) sandwich containing salami, ham and pepperoni.
The Subway locations sell English muffins, flatbreads, and breakfast sandwiches too. Since 2006, one can find in American markets personal pizzas from Subway.
Landmarks in the History of Subway
The company was started in 1965 by Fred DeLuca, who borrowed one hundred dollars from Peter Buck and opened “Pete’s Super Submarines”. During the first working day over three hundred sandwiches were sold. A bit later Buck became DeLuca’s partner. Let’s review the main landmarks in the history of Subway.
- 1965 – “Pete’s Super Submarines” is founded in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
- 1966 – DeLuca and Buck form Doctor’s Associates Incorporated.
- 1968 – The name “Subway” comes into use for the 1st time.
- 1974 – The friends operate sixteen Subway locations, selling submarine sandwiches and start franchising.
- 1974 – The 1st franchised restaurant under the Subway brand is opened in Wallington, Connecticut.
- 1975 – Subway restaurants begin to sell its BMT sandwiches.
- 1975 – Doctor’s Associates Inc. opens its first Subway location in Massachusetts.
- 1976 – A Subway restaurant is launched in Ft. Lauderdale.
- 1978 – The first restaurant starts working in Fresno, California.
- 1980 – Subway is introduced in New York City.
- 1981 – The 200th Subway location is opened in Renton, Washington.
- 1982 – The Subway chain includes three hundred restaurants.
- 1984 – Subway introduces its Club sandwich and opens the 400th location in Dallas.
- 1985 – The chain has five hundred restaurants and launches the first location in Puerto Rico.
- 1986 – Subway starts offering breakfast menu.
- 1987 – The 1,000th Subway location is founded in Indiana. The brand expands to the Bahamas and Hawaii.
- 1988 – Subway introduces Cold Cut Combo and opens the 2,000th restaurant.
- 1989 – The Subway chain celebrates the opening of the 3,000th location. Now it works in all fifty American states.
- 1990 – There are 5,000 Subway locations in the chain.
- 1991 – Kid’s meals are offered in Subway restaurants.
- 1992 – Subway takes part in school lunch programs and opens locations in Saudi Arabia and Japan.
- 1993 – Subway is introduced in convenience stores.
- 1995 – Doctor’s Associates Inc. starts the 11,000 restaurant and celebrates the 30th anniversary of the chain.
- 2001 – The Subway chain operates 15,000 locations worldwide.
- 2002 – According to the report of The Wall Street Journal, Subway surpasses McDonalds in the number of restaurants in the USA.
- 2002 – Subway changes its original logo.
- 2003 – The 20,000th Subway location is launched.
- 2005 – Subway introduces its client reward program.
- 2008 – Subway starts its 30,000 restaurant.
- 2011 – Subway owns 35,000 locations which makes it the world’s largest restaurant chain.
Nowadays, Subway is the largest sub sandwich chain in the world including over 37,000 Subway locations in one hundred countries and regions. It provides over 300,000 jobs around the world. It is a privately held company, so one cannot buy its stock.
It possesses numerous awards, like “Most Loved Fast Food Chain”, “Heart Check Certification”, etc.
The official Internet site of the Subway chain provides useful information about the company, its history, products, franchise, jobs, goals for future and so on. If you want to open a franchise, you can get the necessary data in the special section.
The Subway locator helps to find the nearest restaurant.